Find more slow-cooker recipes here!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup BPA-free-canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup all-natural salsa
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup unsalted tomato sauce
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup medium-grind organic yellow cornmeal (TRY: Bob’s Red Mill Medium Grind Cornmeal)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup loosely packed chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- To a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker, add chicken, beans, salsa, broth and tomato sauce. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- About 40 minutes before end of cooking time, prepare polenta: In a medium saucepan on medium, heat oil. Add jalapeño and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add 3 cups water. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal and 1 cup water. Pour cornmeal mixture slowly into boiling water in saucepan, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring often, until polenta thickens. Add cheese and black pepper, stirring to melt cheese.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and place on a cutting board. Using 2 forks, shred chicken into bite-size pieces; return to slow cooker and stir in cilantro.
- Divide polenta among bowls and top with chicken-bean mixture. Serve with lime wedges.
- Serving Size: 1 cup chicken mixture and 3/4 cup polenta
- Calories: 417
- Carbohydrate Content: 43 g
- Cholesterol Content: 80 mg
- Fat Content: 1.5 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 31 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 474 mg
- Sugar Content: 2.5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1.5 g