Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Find more slow-cooker recipes here!
- To a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker, add chicken, beans, salsa, broth and tomato sauce. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- About 40 minutes before end of cooking time, prepare polenta: In a medium saucepan on medium, heat oil. Add jalapeño and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add 3 cups water. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal and 1 cup water. Pour cornmeal mixture slowly into boiling water in saucepan, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring often, until polenta thickens. Add cheese and black pepper, stirring to melt cheese.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and place on a cutting board. Using 2 forks, shred chicken into bite-size pieces; return to slow cooker and stir in cilantro.
- Divide polenta among bowls and top with chicken-bean mixture. Serve with lime wedges.
- Serving Size 1 cup chicken mixture and 3/4 cup polenta
- Calories 417
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 80 mg
- Fat Content 1.5 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 31 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 474 mg
- Sugar Content 2.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1.5 g