Spaghetti Carbonara with Chicken Sausage
We've taken your favorite classic carbonara and reinvented it with the same velvety texture that you're used to - but without the cream. Fresh asparagus adds a touch of color and texture, while chicken sausage stands in for bacon to provide meaty flavor.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Find more pasta recipes here!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb thin asparagus, trimmed and cut into 3-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 2 large shallots, sliced
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper, divided, plus additional to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 3-oz links all-natural, cooked chicken sausage, diced
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 8 oz whole-wheat spaghetti
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Add asparagus, shallots, salt and 1/8 tsp pepper and sauté for about 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until lightly browned. Add 1/3 cup water and cook for 3 to 4 minutes more, until asparagus is crisp-tender and liquid evaporates. Reduce heat to low, add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until garlic has softened, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Increase heat to medium and add sausage to skillet. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until lightly browned and heated through. Add to bowl with asparagus.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese and 1/8 tsp pepper; set aside. To boiling water, add pasta and cook al dente according to package directions. Drain and return pasta to pot, off of the heat. Immediately add egg mixture to hot pasta and stir vigorously until thickened and creamy, about 1 minute. Add asparagus mixture and stir to combine. Season with additional pepper. Divide among serving bowls, top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese, dividing evenly.
- Serving Size 1 1/2 cups
- Calories 354
- Carbohydrate Content 51 g
- Cholesterol Content 146 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 25 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 508 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g