Video: Cooking With Leafy Greens
Like mom always said: Eat your greens! Chef Jo gives you the lowdown on super-nutritious leafy green vegetables and how to use them in your cooking.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 large bags fresh spinach (9 oz each) or 36 cups loosely packed spinach
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup feta, crumbled
- 4 sheets whole-wheat phyllo dough (13 x 18 inches each; Try: The Fillo Factory)
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add pepper and onion and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add spinach in batches, waiting 2 or 3 minutes between intervals; cover tightly and cook, tossing frequently, for about 15 minutes.
- Drain spinach mixture in a colander, removing any excess liquid, before placing it in a large bowl; set aside. When spinach mixture is cool, mix in dill, mint and egg white. Then fold in feta until well blended. Set aside.
- Working quickly, roll phyllo out onto a clean work surface. Carefully cut each sheet lengthwise into approximately 4 3-inch-wide pieces. (TIP: Or cut each sheet in half lengthwise, then half each of the 2 sections again to create 4 equal pieces.) Place 3 or 4 strips across the center of a 1 1/2-qt or 9 x 9-inch casserole dish misted with cooking spray, leaving about 3 to 4 inches of excess hanging over on both ends. The strips should be overlapping slightly. Mist strips with cooking spray. Turn the casserole dish clockwise and place 3 or 4 strips across the original layer, at a 90-degree angle. Mist strips with cooking spray. Continue turning and layering until all strips have been used, about 4 layers in total, misting with cooking spray after each layer.
- Spoon spinach mixture into center of phyllo-covered dish. Fold phyllo hanging over edges into the center of spinach mixture, covering the top (no spinach should be visible). Mist with cooking spray.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly brown and crispy. Let casserole sit for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing. Cut into 6 pieces and serve. TIP: Phyllo can be cut with a knife, kitchen scissors or a pizza cutter.
- Serving Size: 1 slice of Spanakopita Casserole
- Calories: 140
- Carbohydrate Content: 24 g
- Cholesterol Content: 5 mg
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1.5 g
- Sodium Content: 450 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g