Spanish-Style Fideos with Shrimp or Egg
Toasted in oil until golden brown, these Fideos (Spanish for noodles) are paired with a rich and flavorful tomato sauce and then tossed with savory shrimp or topped with an egg, served sunnyside up.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Nutrients per vegetarian fideos serving (1 1/2 cups): Calories: 325, Total Fat: 10 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 48 g, Fiber: 8 g, Sugars: 8 g, Protein: 15 g, Sodium: 254 mg, Cholesterol: 186 mg
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 6 oz whole-wheat angel hair pasta, broken into 1-inch lengths
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup seeded and sliced red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cups jarred or boxed unsalted crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp chile powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 8 oz peeled and deveined shrimp (TIP: Frozen and thawed will work here, too.)
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Mist a 3-cup ovenproof baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Mist a large sauté pan with cooking spray and heat on medium-high. Add pasta and toast, stirring constantly, until noodles are golden brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In same pan, heat oil on medium. Add jalapeno, onion and bell pepper and sauté until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Return pasta to pan. Add broth, 1 cup water, tomatoes, chile powder, cumin, oregano, salt and black pepper. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, then cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until pasta is almost tender, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Transfer 1 1/2 cups pasta mixture to prepared baking dish. Break egg and gently place in center of baking dish. Bake until egg whites are just set, about 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fold shrimp into remaining pasta mixture, cover, and return to stove top on medium-low heat. Cook until shrimp are pink and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle cilantro over both dishes and serve with lime wedges.
- Serving Size 1 1/2 cups
- Calories 308
- Carbohydrate Content 49 g
- Cholesterol Content 95 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 611 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g