- Position oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat to 325˚F. Mist 2 9-inch round nonstick baking pans with cooking spray. Cut out 2 9-inch round pieces of parchment paper and fit inside pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pastry flour, almond flour, baking powder, 2 tsp cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt and cloves. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, use a handheld whisk to lightly beat eggs. Add maple sugar, milk and oil and beat with the mixer’s paddle attachment on medium speed until light and frothy, about 3 minutes. (note: A handheld electric mixer will also work here.) Add flour mixture in 3 additions and beat each time on low speed, until just incorporated.
- Divide batter between prepared pans and bake on upper and lower thirds of oven for 15 minutes. Reverse positions and continue baking until edges are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean, 10 to 13 minutes more (25 to 28 minutes total baking time). Cool cakes in their pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Invert each cake onto a plate and gently peel off parchment. Invert back onto wire rack so that cakes are right side up. Cool completely.
- In an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment (or with a handheld electric mixer), beat cream cheese on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add honey, maple extract and remaining 1/4 tsp cinnamon; beat on medium-high until combined, about 1 minute, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Place 1 cake on a serving platter and spread half of frosting over top. Place second cake on top and spread remaining frosting over top. (note: Unfrosted cake may be kept in an airtight container at room temperature overnight. Frosted cake may be refrigerated in an airtight container overnight. Bring to room temperature before serving. This cake is best served within 1 day of baking.)
- Serving Size 1/12 of spice cake
- Calories 334
- Carbohydrate Content 40 g
- Cholesterol Content 85 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 298 mg
- Sugar Content 24 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g