Fire up the grill! Check out our collection of clean cookout recipes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme, plus additional sprigs for garnish
- 1 tsp each chile powder, garlic powder and onion powder
- 3/4 tsp sea salt, plus additional, to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, halved, cored and seeded
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, halved, cored and seeded
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 lb flank steak, about ¾ inch thick, trimmed
- 1/2 slice whole-wheat bread, torn into ¾-inch pieces
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper, plus additional, to taste
- In a small bowl, combine thyme, chile powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and cumin. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, bell peppers, 1 tbsp spice mixture and 1 tbsp oil. Sprinkle flank steak with remaining spice mixture.
- Prepare a grill to medium-high and lightly oil grate. Grill tomatoes skin side down until softened and lightly charred, about 2 minutes. Grill bell peppers until softened and lightly charred, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Grill flank steak to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare or 5 minutes per side for medium. Set steak aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine tomato, bell peppers, bread, vinegar, cayenne and remaining 1½ tsp oil and process to purée. Add additional salt and cayenne.
- Cut steak across the grain into thin slices. Serve in a pool of tomato sauce, garnished with thyme sprigs.
- Serving Size: 4 oz steak, 5 T sauce
- Calories: 302
- Carbohydrate Content: 7 g
- Cholesterol Content: 91 mg
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 33 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 503 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g