Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Fire up the grill! Check out our collection of clean cookout recipes.
- In a small bowl, combine thyme, chile powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and cumin. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, bell peppers, 1 tbsp spice mixture and 1 tbsp oil. Sprinkle flank steak with remaining spice mixture.
- Prepare a grill to medium-high and lightly oil grate. Grill tomatoes skin side down until softened and lightly charred, about 2 minutes. Grill bell peppers until softened and lightly charred, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Grill flank steak to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare or 5 minutes per side for medium. Set steak aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine tomato, bell peppers, bread, vinegar, cayenne and remaining 1½ tsp oil and process to purée. Add additional salt and cayenne.
- Cut steak across the grain into thin slices. Serve in a pool of tomato sauce, garnished with thyme sprigs.
- Serving Size 4 oz steak, 5 T sauce
- Calories 302
- Carbohydrate Content 7 g
- Cholesterol Content 91 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 33 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 503 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g