Black beans are more budget-friendly than chicken, beef, or fish, and loaded with with fiber, folate, and potassium. Black beans can fill you up without draining your wallet, and just one cup supplies nearly 15 grams of protein.
- Prep Time
- ½ tbsp coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1½ cups brown rice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp chili powder blend
- 2½ cups water
- 1½ cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ tsp sea salt, divided
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro + additional for garnish
- 1½ tsp fresh lime juice + 3 lime wedges for garnish
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup crumbled full-fat feta cheese
1. In a medium pot on medium, heat oil. Add onion and sauté 3 minutes. Stir in rice, two-thirds of minced garlic, oregano and chili powder; sauté 3 minutes more.
2. Stir in water, beans and half of the salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, 45 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
3. Meanwhile, prepare salsa: In a bowl, combine tomatoes, remaining minced garlic, cilantro, lime juice and remaining salt.
4. Among serving bowls, divide rice mixture, salsa, sliced avocado, and feta. Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.
NOTE: If following our Meal Plan, refrigerate leftover meal components separately. Freeze one serving of rice-bean mixture; reheat and assemble when called for.
- Serving Size: 1/3 of recipe
- Calories: 771
- Carbohydrate Content: 113 g
- Cholesterol Content: 44 mg
- Fat Content: 26 g
- Fiber Content: 21 g
- Protein Content: 25 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 12 g
- Sodium Content: 916 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g