Black beans are more budget-friendly than chicken, beef, or fish, and loaded with with fiber, folate, and potassium. Black beans can fill you up without draining your wallet, and just one cup supplies nearly 15 grams of protein.
1. In a medium pot on medium, heat oil. Add onion and
sauté 3 minutes. Stir in rice, two-thirds of minced garlic,
oregano and chili powder; sauté 3 minutes more.
2. Stir in water, beans and half of the salt; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, 45 minutes.
Remove from heat and let sit, covered, 5 minutes, then
fluff with a fork.
3. Meanwhile, prepare salsa: In a bowl, combine tomatoes, remaining minced garlic, cilantro, lime
juice and remaining salt.
4. Among serving bowls, divide rice mixture, salsa, sliced avocado, and feta. Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.
NOTE: If following our Meal Plan, refrigerate leftover meal components separately. Freeze one serving of rice-bean
mixture; reheat and assemble when called for.
- Serving Size 1/3 of recipe
- Calories 771
- Carbohydrate Content 113 g
- Cholesterol Content 44 mg
- Fat Content 26 g
- Fiber Content 21 g
- Protein Content 25 g
- Saturated Fat Content 12 g
- Sodium Content 916 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g