Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Sprinkle brisket on both sides with five-spice, salt and pepper.
- Arrange brisket in a 9 by 13-inch baking pan. (NOTE: The side of brisket that was trimmed of fat should be facing up.)
- Arrange shallots and tangerines on and around brisket; bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a measuring cup, combine broth, vinegar and arrowroot, whisking to dissolve arrowroot.
- Remove brisket from oven and pour broth mixture into pan. Cover tightly with foil and continue baking until meat is very tender, about 3 hours.
- Remove brisket from oven and uncover. Let cool in pan juices for 30 minutes.
- Transfer brisket to a cutting board and slice meat against the grain.
- Serve meat with tangerine-shallot sauce mixture spooned on top.
- Tip: Prepare up to two days ahead. Store sliced meat and sauce in baking pan, cover and refrigerate. Remove from refrigerator 30 to 60 minutes in advance, then reheat at 350°F for about 45 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size 2 1/2 oz spiced brisket and 1/4 cup sauce mixture
- Calories 256
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 56 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 33 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 307 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g