- Prep Time
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive-oil, divided
- 2 tbsp organic unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 1 lb white or cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 5 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 3/4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp sea salt, divided
- 4 4-oz boneless, skinless catfish fillets (1/2 to 3/4 inch thick; alternatively, you can substitute with cod)
- 1 1/2 tsp chile powder
- 2 1/4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp organic unsalted butter (TRY: Horizon Organic Unsalted Butter)
- 3/4 cup whole-grain cornmeal (aka polenta)
- 3/4 cup shredded extra-old white cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions, optional
- Pinch sea salt and ground pepper
1.Preheat oven to 500°F. Arrange1 oven rack in top position and place a rimmed baking sheet on rack to heat.
2.In a small saucepan, heat 2 tbsp oil and 2 tbsp butter on medium-high. Add yellow onion and pinch black pepper and sauté, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, about 6 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté until softened and no liquid remains, 7 to 9 minutes.
3. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add vinegar; cook, stirring, until almost no liquid remains, about 1 minute. Add 1¾ cups broth and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced by three-quarters, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in all but 1 tbsp parsley and add lemon juice and ¼ tsp salt. Cover to keep warm. Set aside.
4. Meanwhile, brush both sides of fish with remaining 1 tbsp oil; sprinkle with chile powder and ½ tsp salt. Remove baking sheet from oven; carefully line with parchment paper. Arrange fish on prepared sheet. Bake on top rack, turning once, until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, about 6 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tbsp parsley. (NOTE:Normally parchment shouldn't be used on very high heat, but since it's only in the oven for a short time, it works well in this recipe. Preheating the baking sheet ensures both sides of fish cook uniformly.)
5. Prepare polenta: In a large saucepan, bring 2¼ cups broth and 1 tbsp butter to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer; slowly whisk in polenta. Cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, 5to 8 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cheese, green onions (if using ), and pinch each salt and pepper.
6. Divide polenta among plates; top with mushroom mixture and fish, dividing evenly.
- Serving Size: 1 fillet and 1/4 of polenta and ragu
- Calories: 573
- Carbohydrate Content: 39 g
- Cholesterol Content: 106 mg
- Fat Content: 35 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 29 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 13 g
- Sodium Content: 817 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 15 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 3 g