Looking for more vegetarian recipes? Click here.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1 tbsp grape seed oil, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp each ground cumin, coriander and turmeric (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Turmeric Root)
- 4 cups edamame, shelled and cooked
- 1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 large beets, grated
- 2 large carrots, grated'
- 1/2 cup plain coconut or regular yogurt
- 8 6-inch whole-grain pitas (TIP: For a lower-carb meal, substitute 8 large collard green leaves for the pitas.)
- 1 tsp grape seed oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 small papaya, cut into ¼-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Prepare chutney: In a medium saucepan on medium, heat 1 tsp oil. Add 3 cloves garlic, jalapeño and coriander and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add remaining chutney ingredients except for the salt, and stir. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the chutney has reduced by one-third and has thickened, remove from heat and stir in 1/8 tsp salt. Chutney can be served warm, at room temperature or chilled.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine flaxseeds and 2 tbsp water. Set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- In a small skillet on medium, heat 1 tsp oil. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add 2 cloves garlic, cumin, coriander and turmeric and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Set aside.
- To a food processor, add edamame, parsley and 1/2 tsp salt and process until thoroughly combined but only to a coarse, mealy texture. To a large bowl, add edamame mixture along with onion-spice mixture and flaxseeds. Using your hands, thoroughly combine. Using a 1-tbsp measure, form mixture into small balls and arrange on a large parchment-lined baking sheet, making about 32 balls in total.
- In a large skillet on medium, heat 1/2 tsp oil. Add 8 balls. Using your spatula, flatten each ball slightly, cover and cook for about 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip, cover and cook for another 2 minutes on the other side. Repeat with remaining oil and balls.
- Divide falafels, beet and carrot, yogurt and papaya chutney among pitas.
- Serving Size: 1 wrap
- Calories: 371
- Carbohydrate Content: 60 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 12 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 484 mg
- Sugar Content: 13 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 4 g