Cozy Up to This Perfect-for-Winter Spiced Pear & Cranberry Crisp
When you pop this deliciously warm crisp into your oven, you’ll be waiting by your oven to dig into this fragrant seasonal treat.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
‘Tis the season to break out all of your favorite warming wintertime dishes – and if you’re looking for some fresh inspiration, why not try a crisp?
Featuring a delectably crunchy, crumbly topping layered over warm, ooey-gooey in-season fruit, an oven-baked crisp will warm up you from head to toe. And our Spiced Pear & Cranberry Crisp is a seasonal treat that does double duty. It’s satisfying for your sweet tooth and offers up a number of good-for-you perks with fresh, in-season fruits mixed into its bubbly, fragrant center.
Indulge in dessert and give yourself an immunity boost
While a sweet dessert might seem kind of counterintuitive when you’re thinking about eating for your health, this recipe is surprisingly good for you. Sure, it’s crave-worthy and pairs perfectly with a cool scoop of yogurt or your favorite “nice” cream. But it’s also hiding a few great benefits for your overall wellness, too.
Inside this Spiced Pear & Cranberry Crisp, you’ll find slices of Bartlett pears and whole cranberries. Both of these fruits pack an impressive amount of vitamin C, a nutrient that’s fantastic for your immune system. One Bartlett pear offers 12 percent of your daily recommended total for vitamin C, while 1 cup of whole cranberries offers double that amount. Vitamin C is key during the coldest months of the year, as it can give your immune system the extra boost it needs to fight off sniffles, coughs and other cold symptoms.
Plus, both pears and cranberries contain plenty of antioxidants. With all of the health-boosting benefits of antioxidants from better heart health to a potential lower risk for certain ailments and illnesses, what more could you want in a dessert?
Serve up this cozy, warming crisp as a sweet finish for your weeknight meals or put it on your holiday table as a decadent dessert paired with a scoop of ice cream. No matter how you like your fruity crisps, this seasonal version will warm you up and become a wintertime favorite.
And if you love this wintery crisp, you can try one of our other seasonal versions:
Spiced Pear & Cranberry Crisp
- 5 medium Bartlett pears, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 6 tbsp tapioca starch/flour, divided
- 6 tbsp pure maple syrup, divided
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium bowl, combine the pears, cranberries, 4 tablespoons tapioca starch, 4 tablespoons maple syrup, orange juice, orange zest, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Mix well and set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the coconut flakes, coconut flour, salt, remaining 2 tablespoons tapioca flour, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Mix well to combine. Add the coconut oil and remaining 2 tablespoons maple syrup. Mix with your fingers to form a crumbly topping.
- Pour the fruit into an 8-by-8-inch baking dish. Crumble the topping over the fruit. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the crisp is bubbling and the fruit is tender. Uncover and cool at least 1 hour before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Paleo Magazine