Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- In a medium sauté pan on medium, heat oil. Add onions, garlic, coriander, cumin, chile powder and cayenne (if using). Sauté for 5 minutes until spices are fragrant and onions are soft. Add beans and cook for 5 minutes longer.
- Add ½ cup water; using a fork or a masher, slightly mash beans. Remove from heat and let cool. Transfer cooled beans to an airtight container and refrigerate for later use.
- MIX IT UP:
- For a different flavor profile, substitute pinto for black beans; add 1 tbsp cocoa powder and 2 tsp chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
- Serving Size 1/2 cup
- Calories 147
- Carbohydrate Content 25 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 22 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g