A Beefed-Up Bowl
Thanks in part to the addition of kidney beans and tomatoes, this chili delivers a lot of fiber – nearly half of the recommended daily amount for women – which is proven to aid weight-loss efforts by keeping you full and reduce the risk of certain cancers.
Layer Your Tools Right
Place the chili at the bottom, followed by the trivet and the foil-wrapped corn bread. All the meals in this section use a similar stacking method, but follow each recipe for precise instructions.
Looking for more slow cooker recipes? Visit us on Pinterest and get inspired.
1. Press Sauté on Instant Pot and set to More/High; heat 1 tbsp oil. Add beef and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is cooked through and onions are tender, 15 minutes. (TIP: Don’t break up meat too much; larger chunks add texture.) Press Cancel. Using heat-resistant gloves, lift inner pot and pour beef mixture into a colander to drain fat.
2. Return inner pot to Instant Pot. Add broth, scraping up any brown bits from bottom. Add beef and onion mixture. Add beans, tomatoes, chile powder blend, tomato paste, cumin and chipotle; stir to combine.
3. Place a trivet (with 2-inch legs) over chili mixture in pot. Spray a 7-inch round metal dish (about 3 inches tall) with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, honey and remaining 1 tbsp oil. Stir in jalapeño (if using) and bell pepper. Fold wet mixture into dry mixture until just combined. Fold in cheddar cheese. Pour batter into prepared dish, cover tightly with foil and place over trivet. Lock lid and set release valve to Seal. Press Pressure and set to More/High; adjust cooking time to 25 minutes.
4. Let pressure naturally release for 10 minutes (don’t move the vent), then carefully set release valve to Venting. When metal pin in lid falls and all pressure is released, unlock lid. Using heat-resistant gloves or sturdy tongs, remove corn bread from pot. Run a knife along edge of dish then carefully invert onto a plate. Serve chili with optional toppings and corn bread.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 741
- Carbohydrate Content 84 g
- Cholesterol Content 183 mg
- Fat Content 26 g
- Fiber Content 12 g
- Protein Content 42 g
- Saturated Fat Content 9 g
- Sodium Content 995 mg
- Sugar Content 20 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 11 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g