- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup all-natural unsweetened carrot juice
- 1 cup light coconut water
- 3 bags lemon ginger tea
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 dried chiles, halved
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 leek, white and light-green parts only, washed and roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup silken tofu
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded and toasted, for garnish
- In a small pot combine broth, juice and coconut water and bring to a boil. Add tea bags, ginger and chiles. Reduce heat and allow mixture to simmer for at least 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium-size pot to medium. Add oil, then carrots, leek, onion and celery. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook until onion is translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Strain broth mixture into pot with vegetables. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and allow soup to simmer until carrots are tender, about 20 minutes. In 2 batches, purée soup in blender with half of tofu per batch, until soup is silky smooth. Return puréed soup to pot on medium heat, just to reheat. Adjust seasoning, if necessary. Garnish each bowl of soup with coconut just before serving.
Nutrients per serving (1 3/4 cup carrot & ginger soup) : Calories: 190, Total Fat: 7 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 27 g, Fiber: 7 g, Sugars: 10 g, Protein: 5 g, Sodium: 320 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg