Chipotle chile powder can be a bit overwhelming in large amounts, which is why we use a mix of chipotle and regular chile powder to get the right balance of smokiness and heat. Corn tortillas are a fitting substitute for lasagna noodles - we suggest opting for organic varieties.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 pinches ground black pepper, divided
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 24-oz jar unsalted pureed strained tomatoes (aka passata)
- 3/4 cup low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 4 tsp ground cumin (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Cumin Seed)
- 1 tbsp chile powder
- 1 tsp chipotle chile powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 15-oz tub whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 15 6-inch corn tortillas, divided
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend or mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit. In a large skillet on medium, heat 2 tbsp oil. Add onion, zucchini, bell pepper and pinch black pepper and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, prepare sauce: In a small saucepan on medium-low, heat remaining 2 tbsp oil. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add strained tomatoes, broth, cumin, chile powder, chipotle chile powder, salt and remaining pinch black pepper. Bring to a simmer: cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
3. In a bowl, stir together ricotta and egg. Into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish, pour 1/2 cup sauce. Arrange 5 tortillas in a single layer over top of sauce, overlapping slightly to fit. Dollop half of the ricotta mixture over top, spreading gently.
4. Spoon half of the vegetable mixture evenly over ricotta and spread 3/4 cup sauce over top. Arrange 5 tortillas in a single layer over top, overlapping slightly. Repeat layers with remaining ricotta mixture and vegetable mixture, then 3/4 cup sauce over top.
5. Arrange remaining 5 tortillas in a single layer over top, overlapping slightly. Spread remaining sauce over top. Sprinkle with cheese blend. Bake until bubble and cheese is melted, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 370
- Carbohydrate Content: 32 g
- Cholesterol Content: 64 mg
- Fat Content: 21 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Sodium Content: 287 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 10 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g