Spicy Lentil Meatball Tacos with Lime Pepita Cream
Forget black beans, these vegetarian tacos feature protein-packed lentil meatballs.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Try our easy-to-follow Clean Eating menu plans to take the guesswork out of mealtime and keep your clean food diet on track.
- 1 cup unsalted pepitas
- 5 tbsp fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups lentils, rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp olive oil spread
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 3/4 cups finely chopped yellow onion, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, divided
- 1 tbsp chile powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup chopped avocado
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- In a bowl, soak pepitas in water for 3 hours; drain. In a blender, combine pepitas, 1 cup water, lime juice and salt. Blend until mixture is the consistency of cream.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a medium saucepan, bring lentils, broth and bay leaf to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl; discard bay leaf.
- In a medium skillet on medium-high, heat oil spread. Add carrot and 1 1/2 cups onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes more. Add to bowl with lentils. To bowl, add eggs, oats, 1/4 cup cilantro, chile powder, ground cumin and cayenne. Stir until well combined.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Using wet hands, shape mixture into 2-inch balls, making 18 balls total. Place on baking sheet. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Slice 12 lentil balls in half (reserve remaining 6 for use in Meal Plan). Place 3 lentil ball halves on each of 8 tortillas. Top each taco with 1 1/2 tbsp pepita cream. Divide avocado, tomato and remaining 1/4 cup each onion and cilantro over tacos.
- Serving Size 2 tacos, 3 T cream
- Calories 508
- Carbohydrate Content 64 g
- Cholesterol Content 62 mg
- Fat Content 20 g
- Fiber Content 18 g
- Protein Content 23 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4.5 g
- Sodium Content 267 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 5 g