Nutritional Bonus: Yes you should eat more chips… as long as they’re Clean Eating’s Collard Chips! Collard greens have a multitude of nutritional benefits, including rich stores of vitamin C, essential for the growth and repair of tissues in the body as well as the maintenance of cartilage and bones. One cup of our Collard Chips offers 35% of your daily requirement of the well-known immune-boosting vitamin.
Substitute fresh kale for the collard greens. Decrease cooking time by about 4 to 6 minutes.
Video: Leafy Green Vegetables
Like mom always said: Eat your greens! Chef Jo gives you the lowdown on super-nutritious leafy green vegetables and how to use them in your cooking.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 head collard greens, rinsed and dried (about 12 oz)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Ensure that 2 racks are in place in oven, in middle and bottom third positions. Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Using a knife, remove thick stems from center of collard leaves, cutting leaves in half. Then cut each leaf into 2 1/2-inch pieces. In a large mixing bowl, toss collards with oil, lemon juice and Parmesan until evenly coated; season with cayenne and salt.
- Arrange leaves in a single layer on 2 parchment-lined baking sheets, dividing evenly (leaves may overlap slightly). Both sheets of collards may be cooked simultaneously but placed on separate oven racks.
- Bake collards for about 18 minutes, until leaves are crispy and cheese is golden brown. After 12 minutes of cooking, begin checking leaves for doneness every 2 minutes. Remove any crisp chips each time and return sheets to oven until all chips are done. Allow chips to cool to room temperature and enjoy. Chips may be stored in a sealable bag or container in a cool, dark place for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1 c chips
- Calories: 70
- Carbohydrate Content: 3.5 g
- Cholesterol Content: 3 mg
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 118 mg
- Sugar Content: 0.25 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 0.5 g