Spicy Peanut Tofu Noodle Salad
The picnic must-have.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This portable salad features rice noodles tossed with a spicy coconut-peanut sauce. The secret is in the prepared Massaman curry paste, which contains toasted spices including cardamom, cinnamon and cumin. Massaman curry paste is available at Asian markets and well-stocked grocery stores, but jarred Thai red curry paste works as well.
This gluten-free Thai-inspired salad will keep you full for longer, packed not only with vitamin-rich fruits and veg but also with plant-based proteins: Peanut butter is rich in healthy fats like oleic acid, which has been linked to improved insulin sensitivity, while tofu contains all the essential amino acids – the building blocks of protein – your body needs.
- 8 oz pad Thai–style brown-rice noodles
- 1/2 cup BPA-free canned full-fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup unsalted crunchy peanut butter
- 3 tbsp Massaman or Thai red curry paste
- 1 lime, zested and juiced, divided
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 7 oz baked tofu, cut into bite-size pieces (Tip: If you can’t find baked tofu, simply cube firm tofu and sauté until lightly crisp.)
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 mango, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup lightly packed chopped cilantro leaves
1. Prepare noodles according to package instructions. Rinse with cool water and drain.
2. In a large serving bowl, whisk coconut milk, peanut butter, curry paste, lime zest and juice and fish sauce. Add drained noodles, tofu, bell pepper, mango and cilantro and toss to coat with dressing. (Make Ahead: Salad can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Add a few tablespoons of warm water and toss to loosen dressing.)
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 344
- Carbohydrate Content 49 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 499 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g