Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, divided
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp chile powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a 10-inch baking dish, spread half of potato slices in an even layer, overlapping slightly if needed.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Sprinkle in flour and whisk until combined (mixture will resemble a paste). Gradually whisk in milk until lumps smooth out and mixture begins to thicken. Add salt, black pepper, chile powder, cumin and pepper flakes; stir to combine. Add cheese and stir until completely melted, about 2 minutes. Pour three-quarters of chile-cheese sauce over potatoes. Layer remaining potatoes over top, overlapping slightly if needed. Top with remaining chile-cheese sauce.
- Transfer to over and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, uncovered, until browned and bubbly. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrients per serving (4.4 oz. scalloped sweet potatoes): Calories: 157, Total Fat: 8.5 g, Sat. Fat: 1.5 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 6 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 14 g, Fiber: 2 g, Sugars: 4.5 g, Protein: 7 g, Sodium: 384 mg, Cholesterol: 4 mg
Nutritional Bonus: Thanks to the beta-carotene (vitamin A) offered by their orange hue, sweet potatoes may help stabilize blood sugar levels, boost metabolism and fight chronic diseases.