Part of the pulse family, lentils play a role in lowering cholesterol and controlling blood sugar, which helps in the prevention of heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
- 1 tbsp grape seed oil
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, puréed
- 2 large Russet potatoes, diced
- 2 cups low-sodium
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- 2 cups cooked brown lentils
- 1 cup organic ale or low-sodium vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp reduced-sodium tamari
- 5 cups baby spinach
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- In a medium stockpot on medium-high, heat oil. Add shallots and garlic. Sauté until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes and stock. Cover, bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Whisk together tapioca and 2 tbsp water. Stir in tapioca mixture, lentils, ale and tamari. Increase heat and bring to a simmer for about 2 minutes. Stir in spinach, thyme, salt and pepper. Using a ladle or measuring cup, add 1/2 cup filling to crusts and bake according to crust directions.
- Serving Size: 1 1-inch pie with 1/2 cup filling
- Calories: 429
- Carbohydrate Content: 51 g
- Fat Content: 21 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 508 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 14 g