Also see Southwestern Potato Skins.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 large white potato, peeled and diced
- 1 10-oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp white whole- wheat flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 tsp each ground nutmeg and black pepper
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Add egg whites to a mixing bowl and place in refrigerator to keep cold. In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks and set aside at room temperature. Ensure that oven rack is in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Fill a small saucepan with water and bring to a boil on medium-high. Add potato, return to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Drain potato and add back to dry pot. Heat on medium-high for about 2 minutes, until dry. Set aside.
- Squeeze as much liquid from spinach as possible and set aside. In a large saucepan, heat oil on medium-high. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add flour and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
- Whisk milk slowly into onion mixture until smooth and mixture thickens, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add nutmeg and pepper. Gradually add cheese, mixing until incorporated. Remove mixture from heat. Temper egg yolks by adding about ½ cup hot cheese sauce to yolks, beating constantly. Then whisk egg yolk–cheese mixture back into cheese sauce, beating constantly until incorporated and smooth, about 1 minute.
- In the bowl of a large food processor, add potato, spinach and cheese sauce; purée for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until smooth.
- Remove egg whites from refrigerator. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Using a spatula, gently fold egg whites into spinach mixture. Mist 8 6-oz ramekins with cooking spray. Fill each ramekin with spinach mixture, until about ½ inch from the top. Place ramekins directly on middle oven rack and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until well browned. (Soufflés will rise.)
- Serving Size: 1 puff
- Calories: 177
- Carbohydrate Content: 14 g
- Cholesterol Content: 112 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 238 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g