Nutritional Bonus: In addition to its high protein profile, beef is also chock-full of minerals, such as zinc, iron and phosphorus. Zinc bolsters your immune system, iron aids your blood's ability to deliver oxygen to cells (keeping your energy up), and phosphorus helps keep your bones and teeth strong.
FULL PRICE $9.34
COST PER SERVING $1.17
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced, divided
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, ground (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Cinnamon)
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Black Pepper)
- 1 lb lean eye round steak, cubed
- 16 oz whole-wheat farfalle pasta
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 28-oz jar or can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (TRY: Simply Organic Italian Seasoning)
- 1 tsp dried basil (TRY: Simply Organic Basil)
- 8 oz sour cream
- Prepare marinade: In a bowl, whisk together 3 cloves garlic, vinegar, Dijon, cinnamon and pepper. Pour marinade over steak cubes in another container, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (You can also leave steak to marinate overnight.)
- Cook farfalle according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Drain steak cubes and discard marinade. Heat a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over high heat for 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-high, mist with cooking spray, and saute steak until browned on each side, about 4 minutes total. Remove steak from pan and set aside.
- Mist same pan with cooking spray again, add onion and remaining 2 cloves garlic and saute until brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and reduce heat to medium low. Add seasoning, basil and sour cream and combine. Cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, then mix in reserved steak and cook for 2 more minutes, until meat and sauce are completely warmed.
- Serve 1 cup farfalle with 3/4 cup steak sauce. Garnish with an additional sprinkling of Italian seasoning, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1/8 lb lean eye round steak, 1 cup farfalle with 3/4 cup steak sauce
- Calories: 380
- Carbohydrate Content: 52 g
- Cholesterol Content: 45 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 350 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g