Steak & Sweet Potato Tacos
This southwestern-style dinner is filling, flavorful and fun.
Who says tacos have to contain a meat-based filling? Sure, we love a good steak taco. But if you’re following a flexitarian approach, want to amp up the flavor and texture of your meal or simply want to sneak a few more veggies onto your kids’ plates, adding vegetables into your tacos is a great idea. And we’ve got the perfect recipe. Give your typical tacos a veggie-rich makeover and make these Steak & Sweet Potato Tacos for one delicious, simple dinner.
These tacos are essentially your usual steak tacos, but with the addition of chunks of sweet potatoes. Not only do the sweet potatoes add a super satisfying and filling boost of fiber, but they also contain a whole lot of vitamins and minerals. Just one cup of baked sweet potato offers a whopping 769% of your recommended daily value of vitamin A. It’s also a veggie that’s rich in vitamins C and B6, copper, potassium and manganese. Every one of these tacos is a well-rounded serving of vitamins, minerals and more, wrapped in a perfectly soft tortilla.
For the absolute freshest tortillas, try making your own – they’re easier than you think and a great way to get the kids involved in dinner prep! We’ve got a no-grain tortilla recipe that’s great for those who are gluten-free, with the added perk of being fantastic for your gut health. Made from cassava flour, it’s one of our favorite ways to replace store-bought tortillas, and these tortillas pair perfectly with our Steak & Sweet Potato Tacos. Plus, you can make a whole batch of these tortillas and save them for leftovers and other meals; they hold up well in both the fridge and freezer, and they’re incredibly versatile.
Steak & Sweet Potato Tacos
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups sliced red cabbage
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp each ground cumin and chipotle chile powder
- ½ tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper, divided
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 8-oz striploin steaks, trimmed
- ¼ cup full-fat sour cream
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 8 almond flour or corn tortillas, warmed
- avocado slices and hot sauce, optional
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the sweet potato, cabbage, onion, oil, cumin, chipotle powder and one-half of salt and pepper on the prepared sheet. Roast until sweet potatoes are tender, 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Season steak with remaining salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium. Cook steaks 3 minutes per side for medium-rare, or to desired doneness. Transfer steaks to a cutting board and let rest, covered for 5 minutes, then thinly slice.
Top tortillas with steak, roasted vegetables and sour cream; top with avocado and hot sauce (if using). Sprinkle with squeezed lime juice.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 531
- Carbohydrate Content 38 g
- Cholesterol Content 74 mg
- Fat Content 30 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 32 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 559 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 17 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g