Steak with Mixed Mushroom Sauté
You can put together your own combination of preferred mushrooms or look for already-combined sampler packages at your local market. Try the sautéed side over top of pan-seared chicken, polenta or even pizza.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Nutritional Bonus: All mushrooms are a good source of selenium, especially the brown and cremini varieties, with a 3-oz serving providing 30% of your daily recommended intake. An essential trace mineral, selenium activates an enzyme family that helps protect against oxidative damage.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 5-oz top loin steaks, about 3/4-inch thick, trimmed of visible fat
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 lb mixed mushrooms (Blend to try: white, portobello, shiitake, chanterelle and trumpet), cleaned, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme, plus additional sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- In a large skillet or sauté pan (not nonstick), heat oil on medium-high. Season both sides of steaks with salt and pepper. Add steaks to skillet and cook to desired doneness, about 3 1/2 minutes per side for medium-rare and 4 minutes per side for medium. Transfer steaks to serving plates and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place same skillet on medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add mushrooms, 1 variety at a time, leaving 1 minute between additions. Add thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender, 3 to 6 minutes, depending on the varieties of mushrooms used. Add broth and soy sauce, deglazing pan by scraping up any browned bits from bottom of skillet with a heatproof spoon or spatula. Cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced to a thin layer, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve steak with mixed mushroom sauté over top, dividing evenly, and garnish with additional thyme sprigs.
- Serving Size 1 steak and 1/2 cup mushrooms
- Calories 254
- Carbohydrate Content 5 g
- Cholesterol Content 59 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 36 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 367 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g