Sticky Date Cake with Caramel Sauce
This light and fluffy cake has a creamy caramel sauce that soaks into it for extra sweetness and stickiness.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped pitted dates (about 15 dates)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened sultana raisins
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar, divided (TRY: Wholesome! Organic Coconut Palm Sugar)
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated apple (such as Gala)
- 1/3 cup whipping cream (35%)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. To a heat-proof bowl, add dates and raisins and cover with 1 cup boiling water. Set aside for 5 minutes. Mist a 9½-inch Bundt pan generously with cooking spray. (You can also use an 8-inch round baking pan misted with cooking spray and a circle of parchment to line the bottom.)
2. In a food processor, process eggs, ½ cup sugar, oil and vanilla until doubled in volume, about 1 minute. Add yogurt and date mixture (including water) and pulse 1 to 2 times to combine.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, salt and nutmeg. Add mixture from food processor and stir with a wooden spoon until incorporated, 30 seconds. Stir in apple. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and sides of cake are starting to pull away from edges of pan. Cool on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes, then place a serving platter over pan, and with gloved hands, flip platter and pan over to release cake onto platter. Cool completely on platter.
4. Prepare sauce: In a small saucepan, combine remaining ¼ cup sugar and 3 tbsp water. Bring to a boil on medium-high; let boil 1 minute without stirring. Reduce heat to medium-low and add cream. Return to boil and then simmer until sauce thickly coats the back of a spoon, 1½ to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Pour sauce over cooled cake.
- Serving Size 1/12 of cake
- Calories 254
- Carbohydrate Content 35 g
- Cholesterol Content 40 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 3 mg
- Sugar Content 24 g