Find more dessert recipes here!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 lb strawberries, hulled and quartered (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp coconut sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- ½ cup full-fat sour cream (TRY: Organic Valley Sour Cream)
- 1/3 cup unsalted pistachios, roughly chopped
- In a large bowl, combine strawberries, ½ cup coconut sugar, vanilla and salt. Toss to coat and set aside until juices start to run out of berries, at least 1 hour or up to 3 hours.
- In a small saucepan, vigorously whisk egg yolks and remaining 2 tbsp coconut sugar until thickened, 1 minute. Add buttermilk and whisk to combine. Set over medium-low heat and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until mixture thickens and coats back of spoon, 5 to 7 minutes (do not boil). Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In a blender, combine strawberries and juice, buttermilk mixture, yogurt and sour cream. Purée until smooth, 30 to 45 seconds.
- Pour mixture into an 8 x 8 x 3-inch metal baking pan and transfer to freezer. Stir every 30 minutes. When mixture thickens (about 1 hour), stir in pistachios and return to freezer. Continue stirring mixture every 30 minutes until firm enough to scoop, about 2½ to 3 hours total freezing time. (Alternatively, process in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.) (NOTE: This recipe is best eaten fresh after the last stirring. However, you can freeze it for up to 1 week, removing from freezer a few minutes before serving to let it soften slightly.)
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 144
- Carbohydrate Content: 18 g
- Cholesterol Content: 56 mg
- Fat Content: 144 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3.5 g
- Sugar Content: 16.5 g