Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Find more dessert recipes here!
- In a large bowl, combine strawberries, ½ cup coconut sugar, vanilla and salt. Toss to coat and set aside until juices start to run out of berries, at least 1 hour or up to 3 hours.
- In a small saucepan, vigorously whisk egg yolks and remaining 2 tbsp coconut sugar until thickened, 1 minute. Add buttermilk and whisk to combine. Set over medium-low heat and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until mixture thickens and coats back of spoon, 5 to 7 minutes (do not boil). Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In a blender, combine strawberries and juice, buttermilk mixture, yogurt and sour cream. Purée until smooth, 30 to 45 seconds.
- Pour mixture into an 8 x 8 x 3-inch metal baking pan and transfer to freezer. Stir every 30 minutes. When mixture thickens (about 1 hour), stir in pistachios and return to freezer. Continue stirring mixture every 30 minutes until firm enough to scoop, about 2½ to 3 hours total freezing time. (Alternatively, process in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.) (NOTE: This recipe is best eaten fresh after the last stirring. However, you can freeze it for up to 1 week, removing from freezer a few minutes before serving to let it soften slightly.)
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 280
- Carbohydrate Content 37 g
- Cholesterol Content 111 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4.5 g
- Sodium Content 118 mg
- Sugar Content 33 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 4.5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g