Strawberry Rhubarb Bars
Move over, lemon bars. There’s a new dessert in town – sweet-tart strawberry-rhubarb filling layered over a buttery whole-wheat crust.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
1 cup sliced strawberries
1 cup fresh (or frozen, thawed) sliced rhubarb
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1½ cups + 1 tbsp whole-wheat pastry flour, divided
1 cup organic evaporated cane juice (aka organic cane sugar), divided
¾ cup organic unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
½ cup potato starch
4 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract (TRY: Simply Organic Pure Vanilla Extract)
½ tsp sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang; mist with cooking spray.
2. In a small saucepan on medium- low, combine strawberries, rhubarb and lemon juice. Cook, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb is very soft and strawberries have released their juices, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
3. In a food processor, pulse 1½ cups flour, ½ cup cane juice, butter and starch until a fine crumb is formed, 8 to 10 pulses. Spread mixture evenly over bottom of prepared pan, pressing with your hands to even out. Bake until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes.
4. In food processor, purée fruit mixture with remaining 1 tbsp flour. In a large bowl, whisk eggs with remaining ½ cup cane juice until well combined but not yet frothy, 30 to 45 seconds. Whisk in fruit purée, vanilla and salt. Pour mixture over crust, spreading with a spatula if necessary.
5. Bake until set, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool completely in pan, 30 to 40 minutes. Lift overhanging edges of parchment and transfer to a cutting board. Cut into 25 bars. Store in an airtight container up to 5 days, or freeze for longer storage.
- Serving Size 1 bar
- Calories 141
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 44 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 0.5 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 51 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 2 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0.5 g