- 1 7-oz jar chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 pinches plus 1/4 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 6 poblano chile peppers
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1/4 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels (about 2 ears corn), thawed
- 1 to 2 jalapeño or Serrano chile peppers, stemmed, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp chopped fresh oregano or marjoram
- 1 tsp chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 cup toasted unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 2 oz mild goat cheese, crumbled (about 1/3 cup)
- In a food processor or blender, purée chipotle chiles and adobo sauce until smooth. Reserve 1 tsp and refrigerate remaining in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 6 months.
- In a small pot, bring 1/2 cup water to a boil. Add one pinch salt and quinoa. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes, until tender. Remove from heat and let rest, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Heat an outdoor grill or gas range to medium-high. With metal heat-proof tongs, hold one poblano pepper over open flame of grill or range, turning pepper until skin is charred and blistered. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining peppers, adding to same bowl. Let steam for 5 to 10 minutes, until soft.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sauté pan, heat remaining 1 1/2 tsp oil on medium. Add onion and one pinch salt and sauté, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in corn, jalapeño and 1/4 cup water and reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until corn is tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Wearing gloves, carefully peel away pepper skin, keeping stems intact. With a paring knife, make a lengthwise slit from bottom to top of each pepper; do not cut stems. Scoop out seeds. Lightly grease a large baking dish with oil and add peppers split-side up to dish.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. To corn mixture, add quinoa, reserved 1 tsp puréed chipotle chile, cilantro, oregano, sage, pumpkin seeds, cheese and remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Stir well. Fill each poblano pepper with 3/4 cup corn mixture. Cover with a lid or foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Serve immediately with Fire-Roasted Salsa.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 206, Total Fat: 7 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 31 g, Fiber: 6 g, Sugars: 1 g, Protein: 8 g, Sodium: 129 mg, Cholesterol: 4 mg
If fresh oregano (or marjoram) and sage aren't available for your Stuffed Poblano Chile Peppers, increase the cilantro to 1/3 cup.