Summertime Carbonara with Bell Pepper, Ham & Radish
Whether you mince it or use as a garnish, buy radishes with tops still attached. They are cost-effective and a two-for-one deal in terms of culinary uses.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 lb low-sodium lean ham, no added nitrates or nitrites, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 8 oz whole-wheat linguine (TRY: Jovial Foods 100% Organic Einkorn Whole Wheat Pasta - Linguine)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (avoid using nonfat)
- 6 radishes, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup minced radish tops, rinsed well and patted dry, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet on medium, heat oil. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add pepper and ham and continue cooking for 2 minutes more. Remove mixture from heat and set aside.
- In a large pot, cook linguine al dente according to package directions. Drain quickly, then immediately return linguine to hot pot. Crack egg over top of linguine and use a pasta fork to gently fold and stir egg into pasta, about 1 minute. When egg has turned opaque and thick, add reserved pepper-ham mixture to linguine. Gently toss to combine. Add yogurt and radishes and gently toss to combine. Serve hot, garnishing with radish tops (if using).
- Serving Size 2 cups
- Calories 299
- Carbohydrate Content 49 g
- Cholesterol Content 87 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 558 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g