Nutritional Bonus: The combination of vitamin K, calcium and magnesium in green beans supports bone health. And surprisingly, green beans actually provide heart-protective omega-3 fatty acids in the form of alpha-linolenic acid, also found in walnuts.
READER RECIPE TESTER:
"What a fresh, clean version of the classic green bean casserole! I have a gluten intolerance, but this recipe was easy to alter - all I did was substitute whole-wheat pastry flour for my gluten-free flour. My husband and I loved the flavor of the sun-dried tomatoes in the casserole."
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 lb green beans, rinsed, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp plus 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- Scant 1/4 tsp sea salt, divided
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 oz sliced button mushrooms
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon-pepper salt-free seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tbsp white whole-wheat flour
- 1 3/4 cups low-fat milk (not skim)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat panko
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Mist a 2-qt baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add beans and cover until water returns to a boil. Cook, uncovered, until tender-crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Meanwhile, place a colander in the sink and fill a large bowl with ice water. Drain beans in colander and immediately add to ice water. Let sit for 10 minutes, then drain. (NOTE: Beans may be cooked up to 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate.)
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tsp oil on medium-low. Add onion, season with scant 1/16 tsp salt and pepper, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden brown. Transfer onion to a bowl. Coat skillet with cooking spray and bring to medium heat. Add mushrooms, lemon-pepper seasoning and scant 1/16 tsp salt. Cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 8 minutes; set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tbsp oil to saucepan used to cook beans and heat on medium-low. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Increase heat to high and slowly whisk in milk. Bring to a simmer, whisking frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until slightly thick, 4 to 6 minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir in 1/8 tsp salt, coriander, rosemary, thyme, tomatoes, beans and mushrooms. Mix well, adjusting seasoning as desired. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish and cover evenly with a layer of onion, followed by a layer of panko.
- Bake until liquid is bubbling, 15 to 20 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes and serve.
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup
- Calories: 166
- Carbohydrate Content: 23 g
- Cholesterol Content: 4 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 266 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 0.5 g