Find more chicken recipes here!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, each sliced into 4 ¼-inch rounds
- 1/2 large red onion, sliced into 4 ½-inch rounds
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning, divided
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup ground flaxseeds
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 4-oz chicken breasts (or 2 8-oz breasts, halved crosswise)
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- 3 oz wild sardines packed in oil with lemon, minced (or use regular sardines and marinate briefly with ¼ tsp lemon zest and 1 tbsp lemon juice)
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 375°F. On a large rimmed baking sheet, arrange tomato and onion. Sprinkle with ½ tsp Italian seasoning and salt, and drizzle with oil and vinegar. Roast for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare chicken: In a shallow dish, place egg. In a separate shallow dish, combine flax, bread crumbs, yeast, chia, remaining 1½ tsp Italian seasoning, ½ tsp garlic powder and pepper. Dip chicken in egg, letting excess drip off, then dip in flax mixture, turning to coat both sides; place in a glass baking dish misted with cooking spray. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until no longer pink inside and juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, heat pasta sauce in a saucepan on medium-high; stir in sardines and remaining ¼ tsp garlic powder. Heat gently.
- To serve, on each plate, layer 1 onion slice and 2 tomato slices; top with 1 chicken piece and ½ cup sauce. Sprinkle with basil.
- Serving Size: 1 chicken breast, 1/2 cup sauce, 2 tomato slices, 1 onion slice
- Calories: 380
- Carbohydrate Content: 28.5 g
- Cholesterol Content: 123 mg
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 39 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 524 mg
- Sugar Content: 12 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 5 g