- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 to 6Servings
- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef
- 5 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup whole-grain bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, divided
- 6 heads baby bok choy (about 24 oz), trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 2 oz shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 2 tsp safflower oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Pinch red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 cup jarred unsalted puréed strained tomatoes (aka passata)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp potato starch
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Mist a 13 x 9-inch roasting pan with cooking spray. Line 1 side of pan with a 10-inch length of parchment paper; fold and crumple all 4 edges to make 2-inch-tall rimmed sides, resembling a shallow bowl. (Or use a piece of foil to create a shallow bowl shape on one side of sheet.)
2. In a large bowl, mix together beef, spinach, onions, egg, bread crumbs, half of garlic, ginger, 1/4 tsp black pepper and 1/8 tsp salt. Shape by heaping 1 tbsp into balls. Arrange in a single layer in parchment or foil "bowl." Bake for 8 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a separate large bowl, toss together bok choy, mushrooms, 1 tbsp soy sauce, safflower oil, sesame oil, pepper flakes (if using) and remaining half of garlic, ¼ tsp black pepper and 1/8 tsp salt. Remove pan from oven; arrange bok choy mixture in single layer on remaining half of pan. Return to oven; bake for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together tomatoes, vinegar, maple syrup, potato starch and remaining 3 tbsp soy sauce until smooth.
5. Remove pan from oven; pour tomato mixture over meatballs and stir. Stir bok choy mixture. Return to oven; bake until meatballs reach 160°F when tested with an instant-read thermometer in centers, sauce is slightly thickened and vegetables are tender and lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Divide meatballs and bok choy mixture among plates; drizzle meatballs with any sauce left in parchment.
Tip: Squeeze the thawed spinach in a clean tea towel to remove as much liquid as possible; this gives the meatballs the best texture and flavor.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 267
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Cholesterol Content: 80 mg
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3.5 g
- Sodium Content: 618 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g