Find more desserts here.
Hands-on Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1/2 cup light spelt flour (TIP: For best results, aerate flour by stirring with a spoon, then scoop flour into a measuring cup and level with the dull edge of a knife.)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tsp organic evaporated cane juice, divided
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp organic unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, lightly whisked
- 2 oz dark chocolate (70% cocoa or greater)
- 1 tbsp organic unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 large pastry bag
- #18 star-shaped pastry bag tip
- Arrange 1 rack in center of oven and preheat to 375˚F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Fit pastry bag with star tip.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, 1/4 cup cane juice and salt until well combined. In a separate small bowl, combine remaining 2 tsp cane juice and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add 1/2 cup water and 3 tbsp butter. Heat on medium and bring to a boil. Stir in flour mixture, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon until a thick, smooth dough forms and begins to pull away from sides of pot, about 90 seconds. Remove from heat and set aside until lukewarm.
- With a hand mixer set on medium speed, gradually beat 1 egg into dough until fully incorporated. Beat in remaining 1 egg until fully incorporated. (NOTE: Dough will separate and then come back together.) Spoon mixture into prepared pastry bag and pipe 12 4-inch-long strips onto each baking sheet, making 24 total and leaving 1/2-inch between each strip of dough. (NOTE: To make your churros extra fancy, try piping strips into squiggly, not straight, lines.)
- Carefully sprinkle churros with cinnamon mixture. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool slightly on sheets.
- Meanwhile, prepare chocolate sauce: Fill bottom half of a double boiler with 1 to 2 inches water and arrange pot over top. Heat on low. In double boiler, add chocolate, 1 tbsp butter and honey and cook, stirring often, until melted. (TIP: Alternatively, add ingredients to a heat-proof bowl set over a pot of gently simmering water; do not allow bottom of bowl to touch water.) Stir to combine and serve with churros. (TIP: To prevent sauce from hardening, keep warm just until serving.)
Nutrients Per Serving (2 churros and 1 tsp sauce): Calories: 114, Total Fat: 7 g, Sat. Fat: 4 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5 g, Carbs: 12 g, Fiber: 1 g, Sugars: 7.5 g, Protein: 2 g, Sodium: 53 mg, Cholesterol: 41 mg