Sweet Potato Flatbread with Rapini & Caramelized Onion
Is sweet potato crust the new cauli crust? Say hello to the newest alternative to traditional pizza.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
TREND ALERT: Is sweet potato crust the new cauli crust? Say hello to the newest alternative to traditional pizza.
FOR THE WELLNESS OVERACHIEVER: To add nutty flavor and healthful fatty acids, sprinkle 2 tbsp hemp seeds over flatbread when it comes out of the oven. Hemp seeds contain plant- based omega-3 fatty acids, which help fight inflammation in the body.
2 tbsp olive oil + additional for brushing
12 oz sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3-inch chunks (about 1 medium to large sweet potato)
¾ cup old-fashioned rolled oats (TRY: Hodgson Mill Old Fashioned Thick Cut Oats) (TIP: For a gluten-free crust, choose gluten- free oats.)
1½ cups grated Emmenthal cheese, divided
¼ cup tapioca starch
2 large eggs
3 tbsp ghee, melted
1¼ tsp sea salt, divided
1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
½ bunch rapini (about 4 oz), cut into 2-inch pieces
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and brush center with oil.
2. To a food processor, add sweet potato, oats, ½ cup cheese and tapioca. Pulse until finely chopped. Add eggs, ghee and ½ tsp salt; pulse until mixture is well combined and has a thick consistency.
3. Transfer mixture to prepared sheet and press into a 10-inch oblong shape. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until dry and brown at the edges. Set aside.
4. Meanwhile, in a large skillet on medium, heat oil. Add onion and sauté until caramelized, about 3 minutes. Add rapini, pepper flakes and remaining ¾ tsp salt. Continue to sauté until rapini is tender, about 5 minutes.
5. Top crust with onion-rapini mixture and remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 353
- Carbohydrate Content 25 g
- Cholesterol Content 107 mg
- Fat Content 23 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 11 g
- Sodium Content 498 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 9 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g