The Protein Connection
Protein provides amino acids, the building blocks for tissues, antibodies and enzymes. Enzymes, in particular, are required in the creation of adenosine triphosphate, or ATP, your body’s energy-storage molecule. Enzymes are also required for proper digestion, which is key to keeping energy high.
- Prep Time
2 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley + additional for garnish
2 tsp red wine vinegar (TRY: Eden Foods Red Wine Vinegar)
½ tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper, divided
4 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 cup thinly sliced white onion
2 4-oz turkey sausages, casings removed
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
4 large eggs
1. Prepare salsa: In a small bowl, combine tomatoes, green onion, parsley, vinegar and ⅛ tsp each salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. In a large cast iron skillet on medium, heat 2 tsp oil. Add white onion and cook, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes, until softened. Add sausage and pepper flakes; cook, stirring to break up meat, until sausage is browned and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with ⅛ tsp each salt and pepper. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
3. Return skillet to medium and heat remaining 2 tsp oil. Add sweet potato; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and slightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Return cooked sausage mixture to skillet and stir to combine; cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to low. Create 4 shallow indentations in mixture. Crack eggs into indentations and sprinkle with remaining ¼ tsp each salt and pepper. Cover and cook eggs to desired doneness. Top hash with tomato mixture. Garnish with additional parsley.
- Serving Size: ¼ of recipe
- Calories: 262
- Carbohydrate Content: 14 g
- Cholesterol Content: 228 mg
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 668 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 3 g