- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 12 tartsServings
- 1 oz unsalted roasted peanuts
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup peanut oil, placed in freezer for a minimum of 1 hour or overnight
- 1/4 cup 1% milk
- 1 tbsp distilled white vinegar
- 12 4-inch fluted tart tins
CHICKEN & APPLE FILLING
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 medium red apples (12 oz; TRY: McIntosh or Honeycrisp), peeled, cored and diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 tsp finely chopped sage
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce, optional
- In the bowl of a large food processor, grind peanuts, about 1 minute. Add flours, baking powder and salt and pulse about 6 times, until mixed through. Add solid peanut oil and pulse another 4 to 5 times, until oil is mixed in.
- In a small bowl, mix together milk, 1/4 cup ice water and vinegar. Place flour mixture in a medium bowl, pour in milk mixture and blend until dough just comes together. Do not knead. Halve dough, wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Remove 1 piece of dough from refrigerator (leave other in fridge until ready to use). Roll dough out into a 12- x 10-inch rectangle, about 1/8-inch thick. Place 4 tart tins upside down on dough. Cut a circle around each tart tin, 1/2-inch larger than tins. Flip over tin and place dough circle inside, press dough into tins to fit and remove excess around edges. Repeat for remaining 3 tins. Gather up dough ends, roll out for a second time and make 2 more shells. Then remove second piece of dough from refrigerator and repeat steps. Make a total of 12 tart shells.
- Bake tarts in oven for 8 to 10 minutes, until slightly brown. Fill with Chicken & Apple Filling and serve.
CHICKEN & APPLE FILLING
- Coat a medium saucepan with cooking spray and set on medium-high heat. Add chicken and onion and cook for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through. Add apples, 1/2 cup water, sage, salt, pepper and maple syrup. Cook for 4 minutes, until apples are tender and some liquid has evaporated.
- In a small bowl, combine flour with 1/4 cup water. Add mixture to saucepan and simmer for about 3 more minutes, covered, until sauce cooks and thickens. Add hot sauce, if desired. To serve, place 1/3 cup Chicken & Apple Filling in a warm or room-temperature tart shell.
- Serving Size: 1 shell, 1/3 c filling
- Calories: 390
- Carbohydrate Content: 15 g
- Cholesterol Content: 16 mg
- Fat Content: 10.5 g
- Fiber Content: 16 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 182 mg
- Sugar Content: 4.5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 3 g