Love this healthy sweet and sour chicken recipe? Find more of your favorite chicken recipes here.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce (TRY: San J Reduced-Sodium Tamari)
- 2 tbsp raw honey (TRY: Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Raw Honey)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (TRY: Simply Organic Crushed Red Pepper Flakes)
- 1 1/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4 breasts), chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks (about 1 cup)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 12 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice, optional
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, honey, garlic, ginger and pepper flakes. Place chicken in a large shallow dish. Pour soy sauce mixture over chicken, tossing gently. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and marinade and sauté for 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Add bell peppers and onion and cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are slightly tender. Add pineapple and cook for 2 more minutes. Sprinkle the sweet & sour chicken with cilantro and serve immediately over rice for a complete meal, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups sweet & sour chicken
- Calories: 161
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Cholesterol Content: 48 mg
- Fat Content: 1.5 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.25 g
- Sodium Content: 404 mg
- Sugar Content: 13 g