Marinated chicken and pineapple are already a perfect match. But when you stick them on skewers with red bell pepper and green onion, they’re suddenly an occasion. And these Sweet & Spicy Chicken and Pineapple Skewers will wow wherever they’re made, whether that’s at home on the grill or outdoors over a campfire.
Getting outside and enjoying a meal under the sun – or the nighttime stars – is what inspired this recipe. Chef and creator Sarah Sweeney says, “I didn’t want to rely on the idea that everything tastes better outside. Instead, I wanted to nourish and replenish. I wanted to make real food in the forest.”
Campfire ready, with all the nutrients you need
Sliding all of your ingredients onto a set of lightweight skewers you can carry anywhere makes this recipe a total breeze to prepare over any campfire. But these Sweet & Spicy Chicken and Pineapple Skewers aren’t just delicious when cooked over an open fire. They also provide you with some key vitamins and minerals in each bite.
Sweet and tart, pineapple is a great source of vitamin C, which promotes a healthy immune system and helps prevent colds, flus and other infections. Additionally, green onions have a combination of the benefits of onions and leafy greens like chard or spinach. And you can’t overlook the protein in the chicken, either.
Note: If you’re planning ahead, either at home or on the trail, make sure you keep the marinade in mind. The marinade time is approximately six hours.
Sweet and Spicy Chicken and Pineapple Skewers
- Whisk together oil, coconut aminos, lime juice, ancho chile powder, cayenne and salt. In a resealable container, add the chicken. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Thread 2 pieces of chicken followed by 1 piece of pineapple, red pepper and green onion onto metal or pre-soaked wooden skewers. Repeat until all skewers are assembled.
- Prepare campfire or grill for medium heat. Preheat barbecue grate over fire. Grill the skewers over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes then flip and grill another 3 to 4 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Note: Step one can be done one day in advance. Chicken and pineapple can also be grilled ahead of time and frozen.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 221
- Carbohydrate Content 16 g
- Cholesterol Content 104 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 409 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g