Makes: 1 cup fig jam.
Hands-on time: 8 to 10 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 red onions, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 lb figs, stemmed and chopped
- 2 tbsp Sucanat
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 8 eggs whites
- Pinch piment d'esplette (or substitute paprika or chile flakes)
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 4 cups fresh arugula
- 1 cup blueberries
- 4 slices whole-grain or flaxseed bread, toasted
- Prepare caramelized onions: In a nonstick pan, heat 1 tbsp oil on medium. Add onions and salt and sauté for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 35 to 40 minutes or until onions are deep amber in color.
- Meanwhile, prepare fig jam: In a medium saucepan on low heat, combine 2 tbsp water, figs, Sucanat and lemon zest. Simmer until thick, about 1 hour, checking at halfway point and adding a tsp of water at a time until it reaches desired consistency.
- Prepare omelettes: Lightly coat a separate nonstick pan with 1 tsp oil and place on medium heat. In a medium bowl, add egg whites, piment d'esplette and black pepper; stir lightly with a fork to combine. Add half of egg mixture to pan and cook until opaque and slightly firm, 1 to 3 minutes. With a slotted spatula, remove omelette from pan and set aside. Repeat with remaining egg mixture. Cut each omelette in half and set aside.
- Prepare salad: In a lidded jar, add remaining 1 tbsp oil, vinegar and maple syrup. Close jar and shake vigorously to blend. In a large bowl, gently toss arugula and blueberries; drizzle with dressing.
- Spread each slice of bread with 1 tbsp fig jam. Top with 1 tbsp caramelized onions and 1 omelette half. Serve open-faced with salad.
Nutrients per serving (1 egg white sandwich, 1 cup arugula, 1/4 cup blueberries, 1 tsp dressing): Calories: 363, Total Fat: 9.5 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 6.5 g, Polyunsaturated fat: 1 g, Carbs: 51 g, Fiber: 7 g, Sugars: 23 g, Protein: 13 g, Sodium: 353 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg