Tamale Pie with Ground Beef & Black Beans
Cumin, oregano and chile add layers of flavor to protein-packed beans and beef, while buttermilk-kissed cornmeal adds a touch of sweetness to this filling meal.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 tbsp safflower oil
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 large white onion, chopped
- 3/4 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2/3 lb lean ground sirloin
- 1 1/2 cups boxed, jarred or BPA-free canned unsalted diced tomatoes (fire-roasted, if possible)
- 1 cup BPA-free canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp ancho or Mexican chile powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2/3 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tbsp organic unsalted butter, melted
- 2 oz cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil. In a large skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Add bell pepper, onion, 1/4 tsp each salt and black pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add corn and cook, stirring frequently, until heated through, about 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- Remove skillet from stove top, mist again with cooking spray and heat on medium-high. To skillet, add beef, 1/4 tsp salt and remaining 1/4 tsp black pepper. Cook, crumbling with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes, beans, chile powder, cumin and oregano and cook, stirring frequently, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Add to bowl with vegetables and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and remaining 1/4 tsp salt. In a medium bowl, whisk egg. Add buttermilk and honey and whisk until combined. Add to cornmeal mixture and stir gently until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in butter.
- Mist a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray. Spread about a third of cornmeal batter over the bottom of plate. Add beef mixture. Evenly pour remaining batter over top and sprinkle with cheese. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake in the center of the oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cover loosely with foil to prevent over-browning. Continue baking until batter is cooked through and a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs, 12 to 16 minutes more. Rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size 1/6 of pie
- Calories 350
- Carbohydrate Content 37 g
- Cholesterol Content 84 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 592 mg
- Sugar Content 9.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g