Tempeh BLT with Cashew Ranch Sauce
Topped with a rich cashew sauce, lettuce and tomato, you have yourself a high-protein BLT, minus the meat.
It’s amazing how bacon-y tempeh can become with a quick salty marinade and a few minutes in the oven.
A Smarter Vinegar
Made with fermented apples, apple cider vinegar (ACV) does more than just add acidic flavor. While research is nascent, small studies link ACV to reduced belly fat and weight loss, likely because taking vinegar before meals has been shown to heighten satiety.
- 8 oz tempeh, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes, drained
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp fresh dill
- 8 slices whole-grain sandwich bread
- Leafy lettuce, tomatoes or other toppings, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment.
- To a shallow dish, add tempeh. In a small bowl, whisk together coconut aminos, oil and paprika. Pour marinade over tempeh; let sit up to 5 minutes.
- Arrange tempeh on prepared baking sheet. Bake 12 minutes; flip and bake another 6 minutes, or until tempeh is dark in color.
- Meanwhile, transfer cashews to a blender. Add water, vinegar and salt; blend until smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Add dill and purée until smooth.
- Slather one slice of bread with cashew sauce. Top with lettuce, tomato, tempeh bacon and additional toppings, if desired.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 511
- Carbohydrate Content 42 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 30 g
- Fiber Content 13 g
- Protein Content 26 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 750 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 15 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 7 g