Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
1. Prepare sauce: Position oven rack 4 inches below broiler; preheat broiler to high. Line a baking sheet with foil; mist with cooking spray. Place tomatillos, chile pepper and garlic on sheet and broil until charred in places, 3 minutes. Flip and broil until charred on other side, 2 minutes more.
2. When cool enough to handle, remove stem, seeds and skin from chile pepper; discard. Peel garlic. To a blender, add green onion, pumpkin seeds, cilantro, lime juice, cumin and salt; blend until smooth. Pour sauce into a freezer-safe container. (NOTE: Leave enough room for expansion, about 1 inch from top.) When cool, secure with an airtight lid and freeze for up to 3 months.
3. Prepare filling: In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tsp oil on medium-high. Add green onions and bell pepper; sauté until just softened, about 2 minutes. Add tempeh, taco seasoning and salt; cook, stirring frequently, until tempeh is browned in places, 4 minutes. Add ½ cup water and simmer until liquid is almost evaporated, 1 minute. Stir in beans, mashing some with a fork. Stir in cilantro then remove skillet from heat; set aside to cool. Pour tempeh mixture into a freezer-safe container, secure with an airtight lid and freeze for up to 3 months.
4. In a large skillet, place frozen tempeh; heat on medium low. Cover loosely with a lid. As it heats up, use a wooden spoon to break up pieces, 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a saucepan place frozen tomatillo sauce and cook, covered, over medium-low until bubbly, about 20 minutes.
5. Transfer cooked tempeh to a plate and set aside. Carefully wipe out skillet and heat on medium- high. Brush tortillas on one side with remaining 2 tsp oil. Place 2 or 3 tortillas, oil side down, in skillet; warm just until pliable, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate and keep covered. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Evenly divide tempeh mixture among tortillas, topping each with warm tomatillo sauce. Sprinkle with optional toppings.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 489
- Carbohydrate Content 59 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 20 g
- Fiber Content 16 g
- Protein Content 25 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 450 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 6 g