Tex-Mex Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
Sweet grilled pineapple, rich and creamy mashed avocado and fresh tomato slices impart amazing color, flavor and texture to these satisfying sandwiches.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and mashed
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 4 5-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, each cut in half crosswise to make 2 thin slices
- 1/2 tsp chile powder
- Pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp safflower oil, divided
- 4 2-oz whole-grain rolls, split and toasted
- 2 small tomatoes, each cut into 4 slices
- In a small bowl, mash avocado with cilantro,lime juice and 1/8 tsp salt; set aside.
- Sprinkle chicken evenly with chile powder, 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Sprinkle pineapple slices with remaining 1/8 tsp salt.
- Heat a large grill pan on medium-high and brush with oil. Working in batches if necessary, grill chicken for 6 to 8 minutes, turning halfway, until no pink remains in center. Transfer chicken to a plate to rest for 4 to 5 minutes. Just when chicken comes off heat, add pineapple to grill pan and cook until grill marks appear, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Divide avocado over bottom halves of rolls. Top each with 2 pieces chicken, 1 pineapple slice and 2 tomato slices. Sandwich with tops of buns.
- Serving Size 1 sandwich
- Calories 430
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 78 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 35 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 624 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g