Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Want more like this black rice salad? Try our CBLT Grain Salad.
Nutritional Bonus: Studies show black rice bran to be higher in anthocyanin antioxidants than blueberries, which traditionally steal the spotlight for their antioxidant properties. The plant pigment, which gives the grain its signature color, may reduce your risk for heart disease and cancer and reduce levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol in the blood.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- In a medium pot, combine rice, 2 cups cold water and pinch salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat and invert rice onto a large baking sheet, using a fork to spread out on sheet. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare dressing: In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, olive oil, lime juice, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil and, if desired, Sriracha sauce. In a large resealable bag, add salmon and 1/3 cup dressing. Seal and gently turn bag to coat; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine mango, bell pepper, cilantro, mint and onions. Add rice and remaining dressing. Toss to coat and season with salt and black pepper. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet on medium-high and coat with cooking spray. Remove salmon from bag, discarding marinade. Add salmon to skillet and cook, turning once, until flesh flakes easily when tested with a fork, about 4 minutes. Remove from pan, transfer to a plate and set aside until completely cooled. Spoon mango-rice mixture into serving bowls and top with salmon and almonds, dividing evenly.
- Serving Size 2 cups black rice salad, 2 oz salmon, 1 tbsp almonds
- Calories 448
- Carbohydrate Content 57 g
- Cholesterol Content 31 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 18 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 516 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g