Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Prepare sauce: In a large nonstick skillet on medium heat, sauté onion, red pepper, garlic and ginger in oil for 3 to 5 minutes or until soft. Whirl tomatoes in blender or food processor until they are a just puréed consistency. Add puréed tomatoes, coconut milk, black pepper, stevia, curry powder, salt (if desired) and parsley to sautéed vegetables in skillet. Once sauce begins to boil, turn down heat and continue to cook on low for 15 minutes. Then tear basil and add to skillet.
3. Meanwhile, prepare coconut shrimp: Spray nonstick baking pan with cooking spray. Divide flaxseed, coconut and black pepper equally between 2 bowls. Set 1 bowl aside. In another small bowl, add egg whites. Dip shrimp in egg whites and then roll in coconut mixture until well coated. (Use reserved bowl of coconut mixture once the current bowl’s contents are no longer sticking well to shrimp.) Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Check on shrimp at 10 minutes and remove if toughening. Remove pan from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
4. To serve, pour 2 ⁄3 cup sauce in a bowl and top with 3 oz shrimp. Excellent alone or paired with kasha, pearled barley or wild rice.
- Serving Size 3 oz shrimp and 2⁄3 cup sauce
- Calories 260
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 130 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 25 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4.5 g
- Sodium Content 340 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g