Classic Dressing, Heavy on the Veggies
Gorgeous fall vegetables generously lace this traditional-style dressing. To make it your own, feel free to experiment with different combinations of your favorite veggies and herbs.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 carrot, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 bulb fennel, cored, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 yellow onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 8 oz brown or cremini mushrooms, quartered or sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 12 oz fresh-baked crusty whole-wheat bread, cut or torn into ¾-inch pieces (about 12 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Mist a 2- to 2 1/2-qt casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet on medium, heat oil. Add celery, carrot and fennel and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. And mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and add thyme, rosemary and pepper. Stir in bread, then add broth and gently stir to evenly moisten. Transfer to prepared casserole dish.
- Cover with foil and bake until heated through, 25 to 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until browned on top, about 20 minutes.
- Serving Size 3/4 cup dressing
- Calories 131
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 214 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g